Re: Expiry of Connection in Backup Director

Subject: Re: Expiry of Connection in Backup Director
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:30:26 +0900
On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 06:46:14PM +0800, ong cheechye wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Piranha over IPVS (ipvs-1.0.4.patch).
>
> I notice that the connection expire time in the
> primary director is much longer than the backup
> director's (seen from ipvsadm -lc below). So when
> director failover to backup, the connection in backup
> director might have already expired and removed. Thus
> the connection would not failover.
>
> Is this the right thing to happen ? How ipvs determine
> the expiry time of a connection ?

Ok, this is a little confusing. The expiry values are used in different
ways on the primary and the backup, so it doesn't really matter that
they aren't the same. Essentially what is going to happen
is that even if the connection expires in the backup, as soon
as some more packets arrive on the primary, the connection
will be updated on the backup and it will re-appear in
the backup's connection table.