Re: LVS and a PPPoE/L2TP concentrator

Subject: Re: LVS and a PPPoE/L2TP concentrator
Cc: Andre Docena Correa <andre.docena@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew Crocker <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:28:18 -0400

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 04:17 PM, Joseph Mack wrote:

Andre Correa wrote:

Hi LVS...

I have a PPPoE/L2TP concentrator that make Routing, NAT, firewall,
Traffic Shapping, QOS and 802.1q for PPPoE and L2TP users connected to
it. I'm looking for a way to implement redundancy and scalability in
my solution and thought LVS would help.

Is LVS able to load balance a PPPoE server? reading howtos and
docs I've found nothing on PPPoE, VPN or VLAN examples. The Director is
told to be a "L4 switch" what can be a problem for L2 protocols.

PPPoE is PPP over Ethernet it can be handled via ppp daemon on the linux box. I have no idea what the packets look like. There is an open source pppoe client/server available for Linux. L2TP tunnels layer 2 over layer 3 (IP) so, in theory that could be load balanced, probably with LVS-DR. 802.1q VLAN stuff could be handled by keepalived to bring VLAN interfaces up/down and attach IPs to the interfaces. I think if you setup an LVS-DR and use iptables rules to mark all of the packets you might be able to make a PPPoE/L2TP load balancer. Are you looking to build a Redback SMS type system?

-Matt