Re: Missing Nomenclature

To: Carl <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Missing Nomenclature
Cc: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:21:46 -0400
Carl wrote:

> Aren't they also
> the interfaces that the heartbeat broadcasts are picked up on? I guess
> heartbeat isn't technically part of LVS.

if you're using heartbeat for LVS, then it is.

I send my heartbeat packets over the RIP/DIP network,
since the outside world doesn't need to know about them.
This way the heartbeat packets just stay on
the private network.
This was my original reason I needed the names PIP and SIP,
so I could know where my heartbeat packets were coming from.

> > Do you have suggestions as to their name?
> > (As their discoverer, your naming suggestions
> > will be given highest consideration when the LVS
> > nomenclature committee holds its next meeting.)
>
> Oh, great, here's my punishment. :-) I liked Peter's suggestion of PuIP and
> PrIP. At least he introduces lower case letters...

there's no need to rush into it now. Go have
a beer/jolt cola and think calmly.

Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC contractor
to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,
ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA. mailto:mack.joseph@xxxxxxx