Re: DNS Trick??

Subject: Re: DNS Trick??
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 00:48:51 +0200
Hello,

Joel Webb wrote:
I have two web servers at two locations with power-outages about 2 times a year at both locations

But we can assume that the power-outages to not take place at both sites the same time, or is this not the case?

Because of a limited budget, I would like to have traffic at the main facility be forwarded over to the second facility during times of outages.

This would be LVS-TUN with one of the various user space tools for monitoring/healthchecking.

We can't afford to have a huge UPS or anything like that, but we would like redundancy.

Hmm, for a webserver and the whole network infrastructure "leading" to the them you actually wouldn't need to buy a too an expensive UPS, but I understand your request.

Both machines at both locations have a DNS servers running on them, and I

You mean the webservers also provide DNS?

was thinking of having the DNS servers just point to themselves for each domain that we are hosting. Then all I would have to do is SYNC up the servers in the evening from the main machine to the backup.

What do you gain if a request to machine A for "foo.com" is being redirected to machine B (although A has the information) and vice versa? Please help me if I do not understand your trick. Also there comes the time when a DNS request from the Internet is going to be sent to your primary DNS and if there is no entry for a secondary DNS and the primary is down (power outage) you're out of luck.

Can anyone see this as a bad solution or give me a better solution to go on??

I'm not sure if I do understand your needs. Does the following sketch depict
your situation accurately enough?

                         Internet
                         --------
                        /        \

           Location A                 Location B
           Webserver+DNS              Webserver+DNS

How do you get the packets to be distributed to both locations in the first place? Where would you (like to) see the LVS box acting?

Best regards and sorry for my dumb questions,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc