Limiting simultaneous requests from a single ip

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Limiting simultaneous requests from a single ip
From: Neil Sandow <rxlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 12:39:28 -0700 (PDT)
I'm running an LVS (ipvsadm v1.11 2000/06/16 (compiled with popt and IPVS
v0.9.14)) on a Mandrake system (Linux version 2.2.17-21mdksecure ) With 7
realservers behind it.  It's been running for > 2 years and balances the
load quite nicely.

Occassionaly I get a ton of requests from a single ip address that can
really bog things down.  This AM I had > 2500 requests within a 7 minute
period for a page that has lots of ssi's running cgi's.   The cpu load on
ALL realservers skyrocketed and effectively blocked access to the site for
about 5-10 minutes.

Is there a way to limit the number of active connections to a single ip
address using ipchains?    If this is possible using iptables, but not
ipchains, I would upgrade the server to resolve this problem which seems
to be happening several time per week.

Thanks! -Neil

                        Neil Sandow, Pharm.D. rx@xxxxxxxxxx
                     http://rxlist.com - The Internet Drug Index