Questions re: successful deployments etc...

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Questions re: successful deployments etc...
From: Guy Waugh <gwaugh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 10:39:56 +1000
Hi all,

We are considering a load-balanced solution for our corporate web service,
online learning service and proxy auto-configuration service (and quite
possibly more services further down the track). At present, the corporate web
service and proxy auto-config service run from standalone boxes. Our online
learning service (Blackboard) has been running in a Piranha setup since
mid-2000 (without any problems). I've recently built a couple of new
load-balancing redundant directors (with LVS/heartbeat/ldirectord) which I will
shortly switch into production for our online learning service.

My boss has asked that I research open-source solutions for load-balancing, as
he is looking at appliance solutions (Alteon, Cisco and F5 apparently), but
doesn't like the cost of those proprietary solutions. I have been trumpeting
the virtues of LVS to him, but he is asking me to provide a few examples of
organisations who deploy LVS in complex configurations (i.e. multiple services
through one/one pair of LVS directors and the like).

Would anyone care to comment briefly on the rough dimensions of their LVS
setups, and any points of interest (e.g. problems experienced, pitfalls,
anecdotes, ???)? Perhaps there is a web page somewhere with this sort of stuff
already...?

Thanks in advance,
Guy.

--