RE: Questions re: successful deployments etc...

Subject: RE: Questions re: successful deployments etc...
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 18:17:27 -0700
Hi Guy,

> My boss has asked that I research open-source solutions for
> load-balancing, as he is looking at appliance solutions
> (Alteon, Cisco and F5 apparently), but doesn't like the cost
> of those proprietary solutions. I have been trumpeting the
> virtues of LVS to him, but he is asking me to provide a few
> examples of organisations who deploy LVS in complex
> configurations (i.e. multiple services through one/one pair
> of LVS directors and the like).

That seems reasonable for the boss to ask ;-).  Read this thread:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-virtual-server&m=105120376431576&w=2

There are banks, large web farms, mission-critical applications, etc. that
are using LVS.  And remember, you're already using LVS with your Pirahna
package.  If you ask me that's your #1 selling point right there.  Just tell
him you don't see the point in switching software to non-LVS, other than to
spend money and possibly break things..

> Would anyone care to comment briefly on the rough dimensions
> of their LVS setups, and any points of interest (e.g.
> problems experienced, pitfalls, anecdotes, ???)? Perhaps
> there is a web page somewhere with this sort of stuff already...?

Until you start talking about gigabit cards your LVS should just work once
you get it setup.  Gigabit needs a little tuning, like NAPI network drivers
and tuning proc settings.

security (DoS protection etc.) :
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.operation.html
high availability :
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.failover.html
arp problem :
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.arp_problem.ht
ml
performance testing :
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.performance.ht
ml#performance_testing_tools

... There's almost too much information in the HOWTO.  You will have to go
over it and look through it.  Once you do that just talk to your boss and
your confidence will transfer to him through osmosis and he will approve
your project.

Hope that helps,

Peter Mueller