RE: Questions re: successful deployments etc...

Subject: RE: Questions re: successful deployments etc...
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 11:56:01 -0700
Hi Dusten,

> You talked about setting for a Gig Ethernet card, could you
> explain this a
> little more.  I have an Intel PRO/1000 Network Connection
> with Driver -
> version 4.4.12-k1. Currently I'm only pushing about 40Mb from
> it but I would
> like to add my other bank of servers which will bring this up
> to 150Mb. I
> know this is far from the 1000Mb limit of the card but it
> would be nice to
> test the setting before adding more traffic.

You should test the speed you want.  I recommend using the NAPI driver and
testing different MTU sizes - maybe layer 2 MTU 200 and layer 2 MTU 1450?  I
did this with a Cisco router replacement test, but when I did LVS-only test
I just used testlvs unmodified.  In my case those test sizes were
appropriate, maybe you want to get the average packet size on your website
and use that.

NAPI for your card - >
ftp://robur.slu.se/pub/Linux/net-development/NAPI/e1000/
Test software I used -> http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/ (testlvs)

Hope that helps.