Re: general question

Subject: Re: general question
From: Markus Markert <mma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 16:38:42 +0200
Am Dienstag, 3. Juni 2003 15:37 schrieb Horms:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 03:25:43PM +0200, Markus Markert wrote:
> > hi list,
> >
> > is there a other possibility to load balance 2 webserver without
> > ldirectord? because it will not run on my servers. have test much
> > configurations :-( and when has somebody a howto for it?
>
> From what I read of your email last night, your problems have nothing to
> do with ldirectord.  Ldirectord is working fine. The problem lies in the
> interaction of LVS and your network.  The type of confguration that you
> are trying to set up - two nodes that act as linux directors and real
> servers - is very tricky to get right. Actually I regret putting
> information about how to set up such a configuration on the web. Because
> it seems to cause people a lot of problems.
> Please try using LVS-DR as I suggested and make sure that the routing on
> your machines is setup correctly. This setup can be made to work,
> but requires a lot of patience.

i have configured the virtual server in ldirectord.conf as gate, but there is
allways the same problem.

my routing is ok.
        ds11:/etc/ha.d # /sbin/ip route show 0/0
        default via 192.168.0.1 dev eth0

maybe the problem is the sysctl.conf. i have the suse 8.1 distribution and
there is no sysctl.conf where i can do this:
        # Enable configuration of hidden devices
        net.ipv4.conf.all.hidden = 1
        # Make the loopback device hidden
        net.ipv4.conf.lo.hidden = 1

if you could help me with this tricky configuration, i am will be going to
write a howto in englisch and german with my experiences ;-)

> Alternatively, if you are happy to only have one real server
> active at any time. You may want to consider not using LVS and
> ldirectord at all and just use heartbeat to manage the VIP.

i should have a loadbalancer. ip-failover of heartbeat is not enough.

can somebody tell me the coherences between heartbeat (haresource) and
ldirectord (virtual server)? i mean the coherences about the virtual ip. i
don't understand it exactly.

greetings

markus

Suchtreffer AG