2.4.21 kernel patch/config problems

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 2.4.21 kernel patch/config problems
From: Wendell Dingus <wendell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:00:36 -0400
This will probably turn out to be something stupid I've done or not done from
the mini how-to. I have read it "cover to cover" more than once though, really!

1) I download kernel 2.4.21 release from kernel.org
2) Got "IPVS Netfilter module for kernel 2.4 - Version 1.0.9 - May 21, 2003"
2) unbzip/untar kernel to /usr/src
3) symlink linux-2.4.21 to linux in /usr/src
4) cd /usr/src/linux
5) cat both the diff files | patch -p1 which appear to patch fine
[Hunk #1 succeeded at 261 with fuzz2 (offset 13 lines)] for instance
6) make xconfig
7) Click "code maturity level options" and enable prompt for developmental..
8) Click Networking

At this point there is an "IP: Netfilter Configuration" submenu which is
ghosted out but accessible after enabling and module-enabling a bunch of stuff
in the how-to. What is not here though is "IP: Virtual Server Configuration"
and no amount of enabling anything causes it to show up for me.

I'm certain there's some small crucial step I missed and that I read over more
than once :)  Any hints as to what it is or where it's in the mini how-to would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks!