Re: I can see the real server but it can't see me...

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: I can see the real server but it can't see me...
From: ken price <kprice75@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:16:12 -0700 (PDT)
--- Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> ken price wrote:
> >
> > You're absolutely correct in manually setting up
> > masquerading on the director.  It's not handled by
> > LVS/Keepalived.
>
> whoa. You don't have to set up masquerading at all
> in 2.4 kernels
> for LVS to work.

My bad.  I should have been more specific.  In a
LVS-NAT setup using a 2.4 kernel, you're correct.  in
my experience, I have NEVER had to MASQ or SNAT the
director for LVS to work.  A client could make a
connect to the real server and pull content.

HOWEVER.

For the real server to initiate an outgoing connection
through the director, like the server pinging the
client in this case, I've ALWAYS had to setup
masquerading.  LVS alone was never enough.  If I'm
wrong here, I apologize.

-Ken