Re: Module is wrong version

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Module is wrong version
From: Marc Tardif <mtardif@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:05:03 -0400
Joseph Mack wrote:

> Did you activate all the right switches in the kernel compile (if you
> compiled it yourself)?

I've tried installing ipvs in two ways:

1. Using the following directions in the README file of 1.0.10:

# cd /usr/src/linux
# cat <path-name>/linux_kernel_ksyms_c.diff | patch -p1
# cat <path-name>/linux_net_netsyms_c.diff | patch -p1
# make menuconfig
<M> Connection tracking (required for masq/NAT)
< >   FTP protocol support
< >   Amanda protocol support
< >   TFTP protocol support
< >   IRC protocol support
<M> IP tables support (required for filtering/masq/NAT)
< >   limit match support
< >   MAC address match support
< >   Packet type match support
< >   netfilter MARK match support
< >   Multiple port match support
< >   TOS match support
< >   ECN match support
< >   DSCP match support
< >   AH/ESP match support
< >   LENGTH match support
< >   TTL match support
< >   tcpmss match support
< >   Helper match support
< >   Connection state match support
< >   Connection tracking match support
<M>   Packet filtering
<M>     REJECT target support
<M>   Full NAT
<M>     MASQUERADE target support
<M>     REDIRECT target support
[ ]     NAT of local connections (READ HELP)
< >   Packet mangling
< >   LOG target support
< >   ULOG target support
< >   TCPMSS target support
<M> ARP tables support
<M>   ARP packet filtering
<M> ipchains (2.2-style) support
<M> ipfwadm (2.0-style) support

# cd <path-name>/ipvs
# make
# make -C ipvsadm

Rebooted and inserted the modules in the ipvs directory and called ipvsadm under the ipvs/ipvsadm directory.

2. Using what made sense to me:

# cd /usr/src/linux
# gunzip -c linux-2.4.21-ipvs-1.0.10.patch.gz | patch -p1
# make menuconfig
<M> virtual server support (EXPERIMENTAL)
[*]   IP virtual server debugging
(12)   IPVS connection table size (the Nth power of 2)
--- IPVS scheduler
<M>   round-robin scheduling
<M>   weighted round-robin scheduling
<M>   least-connection scheduling scheduling
<M>   weighted least-connection scheduling
<M>   locality-based least-connection scheduling
<M>   locality-based least-connection with replication scheduling
<M>   destination hashing scheduling
<M>   source hashing scheduling
<M>   shortest expected delay scheduling
<M>   never queue scheduling
--- IPVS application helper
<M>   FTP protocol helper

Rebooted and inserted the modules in /lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/net/ipv4.

In both cases, I get the same error "Module is wrong version". Do I need other dependent modules? ipchains or iptables perhaps? Let me know.

--
Marc Tardif
Sitepak