Re: LVS-DR where Directors are also Realservers

To: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS-DR where Directors are also Realservers
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:31:46 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Horms wrote:

> > hook. IIRC, fwmark is present in PRE_ROUTING but such move can
> > create some compatibility problems, are all we ready for this?
>
> My main concern would be breaking compatibility - breaking people's
> setups won't make friends with anyone.

        Agreed. Due to such reasons our development is simply
stopped. We can not do any progress in the kernel area (we are
limited by netfilter hooks, we will need extension to the routing).
But there must be a way to move forward.

> I am interested to hear what sort of problems you think might occur?

        For example, IPVS will not require local VIPs anymore (you
still can add VIPs, of course). This will solve the problem of
balancing forwarded traffic without the need of local delivery
hacks. If IPVS likes the packets (according to the virtual server
definition) he can grab them, else they go in their own way.
I do not see other gains for the user settings by removing the
local delivery. As for the kernel part, IPVS will be able to avoid
LOCAL_IN->LOCAL_OUT paths and to use forwarding. There are also
ways for optimizing the forwarding speed and to properly route+SNAT
in inout direction (multiple ISPs).

> What minor changes to the kernel would you advocate?

        That is the problem :) No minor changes, only major :)
But I have to check the posibilities if we move to pre_routing
because there we will not need so many major changes.

> It might be easiest to only move handling of fwmark virtual services to
> prerouting.  But this has the disadvantage that it would produce
> slightly different behaviour depending on which you used, and probably
> involve code duplication and possible (slight) inefficiencies.

        I'll try to refresh my TODO document, may be in the
weekend, then we can discuss them again. I hope this is the only
way we can move forward, it is probably a Linux 2.7 work.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>