Re: FW: Antefacto and 2.4.21

To: Ben North <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FW: Antefacto and 2.4.21
Cc: LVS List <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Vinnie <listacct1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:33:08 -0400
Ben North wrote:
Hi Jim,

It was suggested to me that I forward my question about Antefacto
directly to the two of you.

Hi everyone,

I apologize for not being very active or present on the LVS list. I've been pretty busy between work and other irons in the fire lately.

I wish I could be more help with bringing the patch forward into newer kernel versions but unfortunately I am VERY inexperienced with C programming. Completely inexperienced would be a more accurate statement, actually. All I've really done much of up to this point is hand-fitting other people's patches into existing source code, when the patch won't apply cleanly by itself for some reason. I looked at trying to make the Antefacto patch have a couple more features, such as adding a kernel sysctl to indicate its presence, but even that is way over my head.

I just thought, since I was successful in getting the Antefacto patch to apply to a 2.4.19 kernel and apparently function properly, (with Ben's helpful advice) that others might like to know about it also. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the linux world who sees it a better use of two computers, given the ability to do so with this patch, to make EACH of them a stateful firewall AND an LVS-NAT Director - and function as a highly-available pair - than it is to make one be the firewall, and the other be the LVS director. If either box were to fail, our entire network goes off the net. So I shared my success with the list, and wrote up the HOW-TO to document a working setup using Keepalived.

I'm afraid that this is about all I will be able to contribute any time soon, though. At least until I have some programming skills. At the rate that is going, however, as I have said before, without some capable programmers getting involved, or the maintainers of the IPVS main source code either adopting Antefacto directly into the IPVS source, or otherwise bringing communication between netfilter connection tracking and IPVS connection state into IPVS's capablities - so that an external patch no longer has to be applied to accomplish this very sensible functionality in IPVS - things don't look good for Antefacto's capabilities to be brought much farther forward. I never really asked to be a maintainer of this patch, it's not even my patch. ;)

I don't mean to sound selfish or cynical about this, but my redundant pair of LVS-NAT Director/Stateful Firewall servers are doing their jobs, and working fine. If I have to keep them on 2.4.19 for the next five years, because nobody with skills adequate to actually maintain Antefacto gets involved, or because the maintainers of the IPVS source code continue to deem these capabilities to not be worthy of inclusion into the main IPVS source code, then I'm truly sorry, but so be it. I'm just a user, not a developer. Maybe after five more years of administering a linux-only server cluster, I will know enough about C programming to maintain that patch myself, but if everybody else is waiting for me to keep the Antefacto patch up to date, please be advised in the kindest possible terms to not hold your breath.

Thanks to everyone who has produced all of this great software - IPVS, keepalived, and the original authors of the Antefacto patch. You guys are the ones doing the real work. Maybe someday I will be in a position to be more helpful, but I'm just not there now. And for that matter, anybody else in encouraged to take this ball (Antefacto's functionality) and run with it. Like I said, I'm just a user, and for me to act as anything else with my current programming abilities is a disservice to the community.

Vinnie