connection state lifetime

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: connection state lifetime
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:39:44 +0200
we're using LVS/DR in front of an IMAP service.  it is common for IMAP
clients to leave the connection open but idle, typically the IMAP
server will throw out clients after half an hour.

unfortunately, LVS doesn't keep state that long, so if the connection
is idle for a while (12 minutes?), the client will get a RST the next
time it tries to talk to the server.

I tried looking in the HOWTO, and found something about using
Netfilter's conntrack, but

  # modprobe ip_conntrack hashsize=131072

doesn't fix my problem.  neither does

  # echo 2000 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs/timeout_established

(I left the connection idle for a little more than 15 minutes when
testing.)

is it possible to increase this timeout value?  I don't want to use
persistence if I can help it.
--
Kjetil T.                       |  read and make up your own mind