Re: Linux Director Reliability

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Linux Director Reliability
From: "Lorn Kay" <lorn_kay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:38:13 +0000
lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am looking for information from people who are running LVS in
production. I am most interested in how reliable they find
LVS to be. How often does the system go down. And when it does
what is the cause - if it is caused by something unrelated
to LVS like faulty hardware then you can skip that bit.

We use an LVS cluster (LVS+Heartbeat+Ldirectord) as the main business system for a food distribution company with sales of over half a billion a year. The cluster configuration, and LVS in particular work flawlessly as an LVS-DR cluster with 10 nodes supporting several hundred users. This is a 7X24 operation doing label printing, faxing, order processing, etc. for several warehouse facilities in multiple states.

When we first went into production we had some problems related to how we had persistence configured and the scheduling method we had chosen, but once we worked this out the system has had no LVS-related problems whatsoever.

The system is so reliable I was able to go on vacation for four weeks a few months after it went into production and not get a single call. When I came back I learned that one of the nodes had malfunctioned so badly the monitoring software (Mon) complained for days until someone rebooted it but no users even noticed.

[shameless plug]
I like the system so much, in fact, that I?m writing a book about it that will come out in February or March of next year.
[/shameless plug]

--Karl

Instant message with integrated webcam using MSN Messenger 6.0. Try it now FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com