Re: hidding loopback interface does not work properly

Subject: Re: hidding loopback interface does not work properly
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:03:21 -0500
frederic.buche@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

you've got enough replies now to keep you thinking for hours...

> What I need is detect if the first Director is not available.
> To do that, I have planed to setup a RealServer on the same machine as the
> Director.
> I will test the LVS function by polling the VIP of this Realserver.

this sounds nasty convoluted and unreliable.
What failure mode do you expect that isn't handled
by HB (or any of the other director monitoring programs assoc with LVS)?
People have been handling director failover with HB (and now vrrpd etc)
for years without any undetected failures.

> So I have an apache server running wich answers only to requests received
> on the VIP address.

this is your hope or what you've found to work?

> I have to set up the VIP on an interface like eth0:1.
> But I need as well to configure a loopback interface with the same ip
> address. (for the Realserver)
> This loopback interface (lo:0) has the hidden parameter set.
>
> eth0 = 192.168.121.240
> eth0:1 = 192.168.121.242
> lo:0 = 192.168.121.242

even if you got it to work, this is going to be difficult to maintain.
Someone else coming on this setup is going to have a hard time figuring
out how it works.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx