Re: Distributed Filesystems

Subject: Re: Distributed Filesystems
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:45:28 -0500
"Graham D. Purcocks" wrote:

> Hi

Can you set line wrap please. Your paragraphs are all one line.

> What, if any, Distributed Filesystems have any LVS users tried/use with any
> success?

We hear little about distributed file systems with LVS. Intermezzo is supposed
to be the successor to CODA, but we don't hear much more here on the LVS
mailing list about Intermezzo than we do about CODA.

Distributed file systems are a subject of great interest to others (eg
beowulfs) and you will probably find better info elsewhere.

The simple (to setup) distributed filesystems (eg PVFS) are unreliable,
ie if one machine dies, you loose the whole file system. This is
not a problem for beowulfs, since the calculation has to be restarted
if a compute node dies. Reliable distributed filesystems require
some effort to setup. GFS looks like it would take months and much
money to setup. A talk at OLS this year described a file system for
1024 node clusters that is in deployment. It sounds simpler to setup
than GFS, but I expect it will still be work.

Rather than depending on the filesystem to distribute state/content,
for an LVS where clients write infrequently (if at all), state/content can be
maintained on a failover pair of machines which push content to the
realservers.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx