Re: Confused Noobie questions.

Subject: Re: Confused Noobie questions.
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:49:21 -0500
Peter Mueller wrote:

> Use high quality NICs.  I like eepro100s.  This is what Google and Yahoo
> etc. use.

I was at a talk at OLS 2003, by Marc Merlin of google, who says they use the
cheapest nastiest hardware they can find. And it's "one strike and you're out".
If the box fails and doesn't come back on line with a reboot, it's out and
doesn't
come back (I assume disks are replaced but I didn't hear about that)

I find eepro100s OK, but I'm not in a high throughput situation to be qualified
to speak
here.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx