Re: [OT] [Troll ?] RE: Virtual Interfaces?

Subject: Re: [OT] [Troll ?] RE: Virtual Interfaces?
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:03:15 +0100
Hello,

        I really LOVE such messages.

Sorry to have upset you, it was not my intention.

People telling that iproute is THE new network management tool...

Well from a correctness standpoint of view it certainly is.

Ho yeah. So, now, I have iproute-2.2.4 installed on this
f... RedHat ES 2.1. No man page.

http://www.lartc.org/manpages/ip.txt

It seems some distros have not yet caught up with certain packages. Also iproute-2.2.4 is quite ancient but I reckon this is certainly not what you want to hear at this point :).

When I do a ifconfig eth1 down, ifconfig show it down, but everything is up.

I don't understand what you mean here, could you please show a screen scape in some form of what you did, please? Also please note that ifconfig has nothing to do with iproute2! If you want to 'down' an interface you better use following command:

ip link set dev eth1 down

This will keep all assigned IP addresses for this interface.

ip addr flush dev eth1

This will remove (flush) all IP addresses from this interface.

I try hard to find in /usr/share/doc a link,
or a text description on how you can perform simple tasks
with /sbin/ip, but there is nothing, nor a simple man page.

See the link above and tell me if it's enough. If not I'll kick Bert's ass next time I meet him (soon probably).

        Is there a way to make this lovelly product mature
or will it stay a geek game ?

First off, almost no Opensource project/tool can be considered a product starting from simple reasons as remarked by you in your email. Second, I would definitely consider the iproute2 framework as highly mature. I understand your grief and hatred against iproute2. I almost threw up the first time I was presented with ip/tc a couple years ago. I sweared whatnot to the author and back then there wasn't even a man page nor _any_ documentation at all, besides the source code. Of course I do not want other people to go through what I or for that matter Bert Hubert had to go through, so that's why now there's a huge amount of documentation on the iproute2 tools. Try google if you don't believe me.

        Maybe the coffee was bad this morning.

Get another one and probably a nice shower helps too ;).

Merry Chrismas,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc