RE: [OT] [Troll ?] RE: Virtual Interfaces?

Subject: RE: [OT] [Troll ?] RE: Virtual Interfaces?
From: "Francois JEANMOUGIN" <Francois.JEANMOUGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:11:10 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: lvs-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:lvs-users-

> http://www.lartc.org/manpages/ip.txt

Ho, here it is. Lovelly. Thanks. I now can try to work with it :).

> I don't understand what you mean here, could you please show a screen
> scape in some form of what you did, please? Also please note that
> ifconfig has nothing to do with iproute2! If you want to 'down' an
> interface you better use following command:
>
> ip link set dev eth1 down
>
> This will keep all assigned IP addresses for this interface.
>
> ip addr flush dev eth1
>
> This will remove (flush) all IP addresses from this interface.

OK. I can't do the test again (it's production time). This morning, I wanted to
test the vrrp part of my LVS. The interfaces are mounted by the RedHat startup
scripts. As far as I know, it is using ifconfig.

I just made a 'ifconfig eth1 down'. In the ifconfig point of view, the
interfaces were down. In the iproute point of view (ip addr), the IPs were UP.
In the network point of view, the sites were unreachable. The salve didn't see
anything (so, probably, the vrrp packets were already gone out.

That turned me sad. Even if it is probably not iproute related,  that was a
good reason to troll.

> See the link above and tell me if it's enough. If not I'll kick Bert's
> ass next time I meet him (soon probably).

I think that Bert and probably other iproute developers are focusing hard on
the advanced functions iproute is made for, forgetting that iproute should
become fully integrated in the linux distributions, even for simple tasks. So,
scriptability, a littele manpage and some very simple examples would help, with
a set of sysV startup scripts to replace the existing ones.

> First off, almost no Opensource project/tool can be considered a product
> starting from simple reasons as remarked by you in your email.

I was talking about opensource product :). Well, thank you for your help. I
understand well the way iproute is developed, just be carefull when you
advocate it, some old unix/linux bofhs could be irritable :).

> >     Maybe the coffee was bad this morning.
>
> Get another one and probably a nice shower helps too ;).

I found a developer who filled a FS with misplaced misconfigured huge log
files. This is as good as a shower. 'feel better now.

François.