Re: [OT] [Troll ?] RE: Virtual Interfaces?

Subject: Re: [OT] [Troll ?] RE: Virtual Interfaces?
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 06:39:29 -0500
Roberto Nibali wrote:

> The reason why it is important to have two states of interface setup can
> for example be found in the security business. You set the link state to
> down, set up all packet filter rules and then configure all IP addresses
> and rules and routes. Then you start local daemons (and they will start
> even if they need to bind and listen to non-local IP addresses because
> the IP addresses and the routing is complete) _and_ after that you open
> your gates by setting the link state to up.

ah. So I can do failover without having to up/down an IP? I can have
the IP on the machine all the time (with demons listening to that IP)
and just change the link state?

how does a demon bind to a non-local IP? Do you mean to an IP on another
machine? How will the demon ever get packets for that IP?

> I almost threw up the first time I was presented with ip/tc a couple years
> ago.

It's still unscriptable

The output of `ip addr show` gives the MAC brd formatted with colons eg

ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I then needed to feed the brd to some command that needed the brd without
colons

ffffffffffff

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx