Re: [ANNOUNCE] Keepalived 1.1.4

To: alexandre.cassen@xxxxxxxxxx,<lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Keepalived 1.1.4
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 08:54:18 -0500
Alexandre Cassen wrote:

> >  Since this is listening on 0.0.0.0 rather than say 192.168.1.0/24, I will
> >  have to add filter rules to stop machines on the non-admin interfaces
> >  from accessing it. Is it possible/sensible to specify IP/interface to
> > which it
> >  binds?
>
> VRRP is interface specific (like HSRP and others hot standby protocol).

so it's listening to 0.0.0.0 on one interface (say eth0)

> >  In the early days, vrrpd put a private MAC address onto the interface
> > with the
> >  movable IP (here the VIP) and thus the MAC address for the connection to
> > the
> >  VIP didn't change on failover. The -1.1.4 version doesn't do this. Did it
> >  just not get implemented?
>
> We had long discussion on this with Julian, and Jamal.

OK, will update the HOWTO

> >  What triggers failover? Are the two machines exchanging packets like
> > heartbeat
> >  and then one machine disappears, the other takes over? Is there a split
> > brain
> >  problem?
>
> VRRP is based on 1s advert sending over multicast. This is an election
> protocol. Master own the higher priority, when master crash an election
> is done to find the new higher priority VRRP master.

OK so you still have the split brain problem

I have just the vrrpd part of keepalived running on a pair of routers.
These machines are also running dhcpd (and a few other services) in failover
mode each with their own failover mechanism. It would be nice to have them
all failover together in from a central monitoring process, rather than
each application failing over independantly. I know this isn't your problem,
but it would be nice if each application didn't write its own failover.

> >from Vinnie's HOWTO
> >
> >mcast_src_ip doesn't do it. vrrpd still is listening on 0.0.0.0
>
> This option is used if you want to mangle the src ip present in
> outgoing VRRP advert. By default it used the primary interface
> IP. You can use this for security reason to completly hide the
> real IP. Since this is multicast traffic this is permitted design.

OK

> >/etc/init.d/keepalive status
> >
> >where it returns master|backup and a list of the other nodes that
> >it is in contact with (and their status)?
>
> All operations are logged into syslog. You can see state transition
> and interface state into syslog /var/log/message (by default).

it would be nice to be able to ask the state in a programatic way.

> >Is there a way to force a transition master<->backup, without killing
> >the keepalived on any of the nodes?
>
> you can for master->fault by setting down interface VRRP instance
> is running on.
>
> Or you can modify the priority in the keepalived.conf and reload
> on the fly keepalived.

OK

> >Is there a list of the commands available for keepalived.conf?
>
> The fact is that due to hard development process, I have not updated
> PDF file for a while. All Keepalived keyword and command can be
> found in the tarball in the doc directory in file keepalived.conf.SYNOPSIS.

got it thanks

would it be better to move subsequent questions to the keepalived mailing list?

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx