Testing LVS using virtual machines with VMware

Subject: Testing LVS using virtual machines with VMware
From: "Ariyo Nugroho" <ariyo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:20:51 +0700
Hi Guys!

It's been a quite long time I didn't tune to LVS. I never really had my LVS
running nor used it in real world. I just did a test with LVS-NAT, saw that
it really worked, and "Hmm.. what a great tool!" But nothing more. The
problem is I don't have enough machines to do it all. (Psst.. It's secret,
but I only have one PC! ;) So, I abandoned my test until I can get more
machines of my own, not borrowed.

Then my friend came with his story about Vmware. I guess some of you have
ever heard, or may be have used it. He said that he can have 2 OS (Windows
2000 and RedHat 9) run simultaneusly on his PC. And it can be more than 2. I
was surprised when he said that those OS can access the other's services
each other. And more, both OS are exposed to the outside world. It's because
every addition of new 'guess OS' will be equipped with new virtual network
interfaces. Shortly, each OS acts as a definitely 'real' machine.

Wow! I think it's a solution for me. I'm going to build my (testing) LVS on
it. I could have 1 director, 2 realservers, and 1 client, all in one PC (of
course I must upgrade my memories and harddisk first). But first, let me
hear what you think about this, guys. May be I miss some important parts?

Best regards,

Ariyo