Re: Hash code based routing?

Subject: Re: Hash code based routing?
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:42:50 -0500
"Brett E." wrote:

> I'm curious about the interest in a hash code based algorithm that would
> redirect packets to a real server based on source IP.  So it would
> compute a function given the IP and mod that by the number of real
> servers. If a real server went down then it could do another hash
> function for the machine that went down.  So let's say machine a5 out of
> real servers a1...a16 wend down.  If the hash function maps someone to
> a5, it would then compute a hash based on 15 machines(excluding a5).

We're always up for new ideas and a new useful scheduler would be
welcome. Currently failover is handled by removing the realserver
from the virtual service table - this is independant of the scheduler
used. Is the advantage of your scheduler that it handles realserver
failover better? What is the point of using the source IP? There
is already an -sh scheduler, which looks at the source IP. This
is for multi-gateway directors

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx