Good news: LVS in Mandrake 9.2

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Good news: LVS in Mandrake 9.2
From: Ariyo Nugroho <ariyo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Jan 2004 09:32:30 +0700
Hi Joe, Horms, Mauro, Rafael! Hi everybody!

I am sorry for my last posting about LVS in Mandrake.I wrote that I
found ipvsadm in Mandrake 9.2 standard installation but it didn't work
because of there's no support in the kernel.

You know what, I was totally wrong! I did a 'little' mistake. I
installed Mandrake 9.2 as an upgrade of my Mandrake 8.0. My mistake was:
I booted with with the old kernel (2.4.3). Fortunately I realized this.
So, I reboot with the new kernel (2.4.22..mdk), and boom! Everything
went smoothly.

I can run ipvsadm without any problems. And I also can hide my NIC. So,
Mandrake people has applied both ipvs and hidden patches, and also
installed ipvsadm as standard installation.

Isn't that a good news, guys? Whenever there's new guy (especially new
to Linux) wants to setup LVS, we can just say, "If you want the easy
way, install Mandrake 9.2. Then all you have to do is running ipvsadm"

OK Joe, may be doing LVS setup this way would make us miss the art of
compiling. Compiling is fun! I know that. I only suggest that for people
who want the easy way ;)

BTW, I am rather curious about how people arrange packages in a Linux
distribution. You won't know about this good news if I didn't tell you,
didn't you? So, is it true that Mandrake people didn't ask your
permission to include LVS in their distribution?

Regards,

Ariyo Nugroho