ldirectord and DNS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ldirectord and DNS
From: Tim Hasson <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:27:16 -0800
Hi,

I was not able to find any documentation on ldirectord and DNS nor any helpful
info on the mailing list.

I need to monitor TinyDNS and DNSCache (http://cr.yp.to) on two real servers.

TinyDNS runs on 53/udp, and DNSCache runs on both 53/udp and 53/tcp.

My generic setup for the udp part looks like:

(substituting real IP's with 10.0.0.x)

virtual=10.0.0.1:53
     real=10.0.0.2:53 gate
     real=10.0.0.3:53 gate
     service=none
     scheduler=lc
     persistent=600
     protocol=udp

I also do this same config section for DNSCache and also another section with
protocol=tcp

The first problem I had is that when one of the real servers disks fail, and
tinydns/dnscache keep running on them (but they're dead and not answering
queries) ldirectord/lvs still keeps it in the ipvs routing table.

I wish there was something like service=dns or something similar to mon's
dns.monitor.

If the solution is not in ldirectord, can I run mon simultaneously with the
dns.monitor script to alter the ldirectord/lvs table when a DNS server stops
responding because of drive failures or whatever.

My goal is to at least keep the 2 DNSCache IP's loadbalanced and highly-
available as they are both used a lot.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Best Regards,
Tim