Re: ldirectord and DNS

Subject: Re: ldirectord and DNS
From: Nick Burrett <nick@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:13:09 +0000
Peter Mueller wrote:
My goal is to at least keep the 2 DNSCache IP's loadbalanced and highly-available as they are both used a lot.

I think you need to find out why it is crashing and fix it.  I don't like
using LVS with DNS as DNS balances itself..

I have never been convinced by this argument.

Consider a resolv.conf with IPs:

10.0.0.10
10.0.0.11

If 10.0.0.10 is taken offline, then you'll find that the client application's speed at getting domains resolved is drastically reduced because the resolver library will always query 10.0.0.10 before querying 10.0.0.11.

Sticking DNS behind LVS alleviates this.

Nick.