RE: ldirectord and DNS

Subject: RE: ldirectord and DNS
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:51:05 -0800
> > So does this mean that ldirectord UDP checks don't work? Or
> is it just not
> > designed to handle UDP services?
>
> don't know anything about ldirectord, bopefully someone else will know

<snip from CVS-ldirectord,
http://cvs.linux-ha.org/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/linux-ha/ldirectord/>

Type of check to perform. Negotiate sends a request and matches a receive
string. Connect only attemts to make a TCP/IP connection, thus the the
request and receive strings may be omitted.  If checktype is a number then
negotiate and connect is combined so that after each N connect attempts one
negotiate attempt is performed. This is useful to check often if a service
answers and in much longer intervalls a negotiating check is done.  Off
means no checking will take place and no real or fallback servers will be
activated. Default is I<negotiate>.

B<service =

The type of service to monitor when using checktype=negotiate. None denotes
a service that will not be monitored. If the port specfied for the virtual
server is 21, 25, 80, 110, 119, 143, 389 or 443, the default B<ftp>,
Otherwise the default service is B<none>

A DNS check will just check to see if a port is listening, not check
content.  You will have to add a check to ldirector (perl) if you want a
DNS-check.  Maybe you can import code from mon into ldirectord...