Re: Kernel / ldirectord interaction

Subject: Re: Kernel / ldirectord interaction
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 12:40:30 +0800 (CST)

Hi,

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Patrick LeBoutillier wrote:

> If I understand clearly, ldirectord is responsible for maintaining the
> list of real servers which are currently available to satisfy requests
> to the virtual IP.
>
> But when a requests comes to the virtual IP, how does the kernel get
> that list from ldirectord? Is the load balancing done by ldirectord or
> in the kernel?

The load balancing is done inside the kernel. The ldirectord is mostly to
monitor availability of real servers, if ldirectord find a real server is
down, it will notify the kernel not to send requests to the dead real
server. If it finds the server is back, it will also notify the kernel
that the server is available for new requests.

> Also, would it be possible for an external application (i.e. a CGI
> script) to interrogate the ldirectord/kernel and ask:
>
> "If someone were to connect to the virtual IP at this moment, which real
> address would be used to serve him"?

If your CGI script just wants to query the kernel which server is used to
serve requests from an IP address, it is do-able.

Regards,

Wensong