Re: Active/Active

Subject: Re: Active/Active
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:18:25 +0900
On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 02:39:08PM +0100, Dino Puller wrote:
> Hi all,
>         yesterday i've put in production an LVS server with the syncd option,
> obtain master and slave ipvsadm deamon at the same time. Excellet! It works
> perfectlly now i can shutdown a director without loosing sessions :) it also
> works after a fault recovery!
> Now i'd like to understand something more about Active-Active Servers and
> connection synchronisation for lvs. I've given a look at a paper about this
> from www.ultramonkey.org but it describe this feature using the Saru deamon
> for filtering packets. BTW is it possible to do the same thing with ipvs
> syncd extension by Alexander Cassen? (included into ipvs1.1.8)

Saru has nothing to do with connection synchronisation which is what
syncd does. Saru provides a mechanism to allow you to have
Active-Active Linux Directors. Syncd (and other synchronisation daemons)
synchronise connections, allowing them to continue even if the Linux
Director that is handling them fails, assuming that there is another
Linux Director available for them to fail-over to. If you are using
Saru then you probably want to use connection synchronisation,
but the reverse is not necessarily true.

This link should over how Connection Syncronisation and Active-Active
work together. It breifly covers the relevant parts of Alexanre's
syncd patches and how they interact with Saru (as I understand the
extensions anyway).

http://www.ultramonkey.org/papers/lvs_jan_2004/

--
Horms