Re: LVS-TUN not working

To: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS-TUN not working
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:33:33 -0500
Julian Anastasov wrote:

>         There is only one remaining problem related to LVS-TUN: there
> is no handling of ICMP errors destined to local IP and containing reply
> to tunneled packet.

Maybe this would be obvious if I understood PMTU.

I assume you have an ipip packet (src_addr=DIP, dest_addr=RIP,
containing payload with src_addr=CIP, dest_addr=VIP)
going from the director over an arbitary number of hops
to the realserver

All ICMP errors -
would be returned to the DIP?
would be returned to the host on the source end of the hop needing
fragmentation?

"reply to tunneled packet" is the message saying that the packets needs
fragmenting
and the first bytes of the packet (to identify it)?

why is PMTU for ipip packets different to regular packets? (I have no clue).

> Such cases can be frag_needed messages from
> hosts before the real server which we do not relay to client.

"hosts before the realserver" means "between the director and the realserver"?

Is the client supposed to get the frag_needed message? If not who is supposed to
get it?

> The problem is more complex because such errors are not propagated
> from ipip_err() to the routing cache

do you meant the routing cache on the machine getting the ICMP error message?
(and in case it's not obvious, that machine is?)

> and may be we can not learn the
> right path MTU to the real server. Or may be we can update the PMTU
> in the routing cache by listening to these ICMP errors in LOCAL_IN?
> Needs experiments and time for fixing, patches are welcome.

Thanks Joe

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx