Re: Handling arp problem on 2.6.x

To: Ulysses Almeida <munky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Handling arp problem on 2.6.x
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:15:55 +0200 (EET)
        Hello,

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Ulysses Almeida wrote:

>   I read a lot about handling arp problem on 2.0.xx, 2.2.xx and 2.4.xx, how
> can i handle it on 2.6.xx? is the same way i handle on 2.4.xx? do i
> need any special kernel patch?

        May be this is not already a news but 2.4.26pre and 2.6.4pre
will come with 2 new device flags for tuning the ARP stack:
arp_announce and arp_ignore. All IPVS like setups can use
arp_announce=2 and arp_ignore=1/2/3 to solve the "ARP problem" with
DR/TUN setups. These flags are going to replace the "hidden"
functionality which does not work well for directors changing
their role between master/slave for a particular VIP - the
risk is that other hosts can probe for VIP using unicast packets
which the hidden flag always replies. I'll continue to support the
hidden flag for 2.4 and 2.6 to help existing setups but switching
to the new device flags (or other solutions) is recommended.

        You can find 2.6 "hidden" patches at the usual place:

http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/#hidden

>   Another question, can i find any doc/howto that explains how the
> major funcitions from ip_vs_core.c works? when are they called, and
> what do they do? I want to learn more about ipvs internals.

        Some info can be found here (it is a bit outdated):

http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/LVS.txt

        Also, the LVS HOWTO has some info explaining some of the
internals.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>