RE: Ultramonkey? No more Monkey Business.

Subject: RE: Ultramonkey? No more Monkey Business.
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:11:50 -0800
>       I'm both delighted and infuriated to report that my minimal
> configuration of one Director and one Real Server using IPIP
> tunneling is now working.

Awesome.

>       However, I can't help thinking that I've wasted your time and my
> own time because the documentation has let me down. I've spent over 10
> days trying to fix this problem, trawling the documentation,
> downloading
> packet sniffing software, background reading on TCP/IP networking etc.
>
>       The sad truth is, the whole time I was one command away from
> getting it working ... and this is a little bit infuriating. :-(

Patches accepted.  Help someone else avoid this same problem!

(P.S. - was it really that bad?  You learned something, didn't you?)

>       I must admit I was very confused from the beginning about the
> relationship between UltraMonkey and LinuxVirtualServer.org?
> I think it
> would be worthwhile to have this explained upfront with any
> disclaimers that may be required.

Horms developed Ultramonkey while working at VALinux.  Horms also works on
LVS, Linux-HA, and on mailing lists.  There's no monkey business here, just
a nice person donating time and saving people a lot of effort.  Also the
best 'front ends' (AFAICT) to LVS are Ultramonkey and Keepalived, so of
course there is a bit of a relationship there.

>       I've purposefully annotated my emails to show where the newbie
> user like myself may get confused and I hope you can use this to help
> other users.

It's in the archives now if nothing else.  I'm willing to patch Horm's
documentation if you or Horms doesn't want to :).