Re: Newbie question about how to load balance traffic between 2networks

Subject: Re: Newbie question about how to load balance traffic between 2networks...
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:53:20 -0500
Guillaume Arcas wrote:

> > Do you want load balanced routers? (with FW and anti-virus)
>
> Yes, I want my firewalls (on which run the antivirus too) to be loadbalanced.
> I now wonder if I [sh|c]ould put this function on the firewalls directly,
> having one acting as master and others as its backups.

in an LVS all traffic does in through the director so you will be limited to
the throughput of a single machine (you can failout this machine, but at
any one time you will only be using one machine). LVS balances services (ie
layer 4), Routers act at layer 3 and forward other protocols than IP
(eg NetBeui, IPX...) - an LVS director is not going to know what to do with
these.

Unless I misunderstand you, LVS is not going to do what you want.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx