Re: Advise on LVS solution

Subject: Re: Advise on LVS solution
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:34:52 -0500
Junji Ochi wrote:

> Hi there.
>

> > > I need auto stateful failover
> >
> > LVS does this
>
> Is this mean that LVS can failover session information between server
> and client ?.

no. The information on the director as regards the state of the tcpip
connection is failed over.

> for example, Suppose I bought a book at one shopping site, When the
> server which I connect in the shopping site shutdown ,my shopping cart
> will be empty.
> Can LVS solve this problem?

no. LVS acts at a different layer. The state of the shopping cart has
to be stored somewhere (eg a database or propagated to the other
realservers) so that all realservers can get to it, in case one
realserver fails.

> to health server. But Oracle real application server (RAC) can solve
> this, server will be switched without being noticed by client

You will have to write your own database layer with LVS.
Oracle costs a little more.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx