Re: VIP on real interface.

Subject: Re: VIP on real interface.
From: "Dan" <kasper37@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 01:48:59 -0800
> there are two IPs on the realserver, VIP, RIP.

Actually in my case there is no RIP.  Well...there is a "RIP" in that the
director has an ip to send packets to, but it has no "Real IP" in that there's
no ip that is routable to the internet.

> > arp -s x.y.z.1 MAC_OF_GW
>
> in a normal setup you don't need the arp command. Did you
> need this because there is no IP on eth0?

Yup.  When the realserver needs to send packets back to the client via the gw,
it needs to arp for the mac of the gw.  Since the realserver doesn't actually
have an ip to recieve the response to the who-has, it doesn't know how to get
the packet to the gw.

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-DR.html#route_on_non_ip_interface

> does any of his stuff relate to what you're doing?

Sort of.  In his setup he's concerned with getting packets from the director to
the realserver. Since I have a dedicated network for this, it's not an issue.
My issue is getting the packets from the realserver back to the client.

> why don't you want an IP on the realserver?

Only to conserve ips.  I've since realized that my realservers are probably
going to have to have connections to the internet, so they'll probably get
routable ips anyway.  Unless I want to do some convoluted nat scheme, which I
don't.

Dan