Re: LVS-NAT GigE internal network director question.

To: lvs@xxxxxxxxxxx,<lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS-NAT GigE internal network director question.
From: Ryan Leathers <ryan.leathers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:43:13 -0500
TCP is your friend.  Even if you had Jumbo frames enabled and large
payloads its extremely unlikely that TCP would fail to sufficiently
throttle the delivery rate before you would bump into a hard buffer.

TCP is decoupled from the underlying transports.  While this is
inefficient in obvious ways it is also presicely what protects us from
situations like the one you describe.  The down side is that TCP doesn't
really get with the program until a problem BEGINS to happen.

GigE on your director will reduce some of the switching burden, but
ultimately, its TCP's behavior which will throttle end-to-end traffic
within the tolerable capacity of your infrastructure.

If top performance is of concern you might consider traffic shaping on
the real servers for egress traffic.