RE: 1 step forward - 2 steps back

Subject: RE: 1 step forward - 2 steps back
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:47:15 -0800
> /etc/ha.d/ldirectord.cf

RPMs install to /etc/ha.d/conf/ldirectord.cf

> 1) Do I have to have ldirectord running for LVS/DR to work
> properly. Cause it appears to be working with out it.

No, but you definitely should have some monitoring of the real server's
httpd.  When (not if) a realserver dies, you should have the director
automatically pull it out for you.  Ldirectord (perl), Keepalived (C), or
homemade shell scripts are the most common methods.  Personally I think the
chance of a GOTCHA! is a lot less using a designed program like ldirectord
or keepalived than it is making shell scripts.  Especially when you're not
familiar with the topic such as LVS.

> 2) Do I need to have ldirectord if I want persistent connections?

Ldirectord does nothing more than set up variables via ipvsadm.  You can do
everything without it.

> 3) if I need ldirectord does that also mean I need to start and config
> heartbeat?

It helps to have this kind of thing setup before you go to a
high-availability solution.  I remember upgrading to HA from a single
staging setup and having to spend an extra day configuring LVS and sanity
checking.  But if this is not an issue for you I would say there is no need
for the extra complexity.