Re: LVS-DR w/ fwmarks and no VIP on director

Subject: Re: LVS-DR w/ fwmarks and no VIP on director
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:43:00 -0400
Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> That comes as a surprise, because HOWTO.fwmark says:
>
> "Setting up an LVS on fwmarks rather than the VIP is now the method of
> choice for anything but a collection of simple one port non-persistent
> services."

perhaps I jumped the gun a bit here :-)

> Thanks very much for your patience in answering.  In the end, what works
> perfectly is to use the HOWTO.fwmark example of using iptables MARK in
> conjunction with ipvsadm fwmark-service, and then using the routing
> trick referenced in LVS-HOWTO.routing_tricks.html#routing_and_delivery
> to force the box to accept the packets into the stack for marking:
>
> ip rule add prio 100 fwmark 1 table 100
> ip rule add prio 100 fwmark n table 100
> ip route add local 0/0 dev lo table 100

well this is the way you have to use it if you don't have a VIP.
Let me go see if I can fix the HOWTO so it's more obvious.

> What I needed to do was actually very simple.  But because the HOWTO
> describes how to accomplish a large number of things on multiple (very
> different) kernels in multiple ways, the amount of information is
> overwhelming to start with.

:-)

> I seem to have run out of Fu. :-)

sorry can't help there either

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx