Re: LVS HA

Subject: Re: LVS HA
From: Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:33:35 +0100
Ulysses Almeida wrote:
Hi all,
  I was thinking about HA and LVS on this situation:

  Every packet that my LVS recives, and needs to retransmit to any Real
Server, I'd like to replicate to a Backup LVS server.

I don't know any answers but that sounds like one of the two features that F5 has that LVS doesn't (although I still prefer LVS :-) )

1) On F5 all incomming packets are automaticaly cached in a buffer until they have been accepted by the real server, if they are not accepted by the real server then they are sent to a different real server. This avoids any connection failures if a real server goes down.

2) Above feature is probably easiest in combination with the other F5 feature which I think they call SNAT where packets have the destination address changed to the real ip of the real server and when the packet returns the source address is changed from the rip to the vip so the client is unaware. This works in single arm mode and I think it is now their default setup.

--
Regards,

Malcolm Turnbull

Loadbalancer.org Limited