Re: Large HTTP GET/POST timeout

To: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Large HTTP GET/POST timeout
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:45:17 -0400
Julian Anastasov wrote:

> > What messages would you get if the icmp problem was about the link between
> > the tunnel realserver and the director?
>
>         Messages from the same type but we do not handle this case yet,
> so setting proper PMTU in director for the route to the real server
> is a good idea.

here's something about pmtu that I found useful

http://www.netheaven.com/pmtu.html

> >       Why is the default MTU for ipip packets 1480, rather than
> > 1500+overhead_for_ipip=1520?
> > Is 1500 a hardware buffer size limit in the NICs? (ie hardware buffer=1500?)

>        There is no such thing as MTU for ipip.

so what is the MTU doing in the output of `ip addr show dev tunl0`?

I can set it (can't I?). Is the mtu meaningless, ignored, what?

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx