Re: 3-nodes active backup

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 3-nodes active backup
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:52:26 +0900
On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:37:01PM +0900, Shinichi Kido wrote:
> Thanks to kind members supporting this mailing list,
> I became to compose two nodes active-backup cluster
> using  heartbeat.
>
> Now, I'm  thinking if it is possible to compose 3-nodes active backup
> (1 active and 2 backup), I can achieve the higher reliability and cost
> effectiveness at once.
>
> Is it possible ?
>
> In my case, it seems like doesn't work well.
> (eth0:0 of two nodes comes up together when fail-over occurs)
>
> ※ I'm using : heartbeat 1.22
>                 ldirectord 1.77.22
>                 ip_vs    1.02

Shinichi-san,

this is not possible using heartbeat at this time.
It is only able to manage two nodes. You will have problem
if you try to make it do more than two nodes.

In the future, when heartbeat 2.X is released, hopefully
late this year or early next year, this kind of configuration will be
possible.

Please not that LVS and ldirectord can however cope with
having any number of real servers so you could have a configuration
like this

node1: active/stand-by linux director, real server
node2: active/stand-by linux director, real server
node3: real server
node4: real server

Horms