Re: Additional method of load balancing not local to LVS.

To: simpsonb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Additional method of load balancing not local to LVS.
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:02:43 +0200
On 2004-06-22T13:04:08,
   Brett Simpson <simpsonb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> I have been doing some research into several application switch
> technologies and in the course of evaluating them I think I have a few
> ideas for LVS.
>
> For systems that are not local to LVS and do not have the capability of
> being tunneled then you might be able to do the following:
>
> Method one (DoubleNAT):
> Setup an Iptables NAT that will allow the LVS director to access the
> remote machine on a local hidden address. Then setup an LVS-NAT to the
> NAT'ed address. This would make it completely transparent to teh client
> although a performance hit for doing NAT twice would happen.

I'm wondering what this is supposed to gain in addition to LVS-NAT
alone? Which is already perfectly transparent to the client...

> Method two (Proxy based):
> Setup a Squid or some other type of reverse proxy back to the remote
> server on the LVS director. Then setup an LVS-NAT to the proxied
> address.

Again, what's this supposed to provide?

> Method three (NAT/DR):
> Setup an Iptables NAT that will allow the LVS realservers to access the
> remote machine by IP address. Setup LVS-DR for your realservers.

Again, I don't get it at all; what's new here? Of course LVS-NAT needs
to be accompanied with a iptables NAT if the realservers are also to be
allowed a direct connection to the clients...

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>

--
High Availability & Clustering      \ ever tried. ever failed. no matter.
SUSE Labs, Research and Development | try again. fail again. fail better.