Odd refresh problem

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Odd refresh problem
From: Todd Charron <vantage@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:20:21 -0400
Hi,

  I've got a setup currently going with a router at the front, two lvs
machines behind it (heartbeat between them) and two real servers running
apache w/ssl and mysql behind that.

  The problem I seem to be having is that if you have accessed a page for
awhile when you bring up the site (SSL connection) you get a "page cannot be
displayed"/DNS lookup failure error from IE when bringing up the site.  This
problem also seems to occur in other browsers.  However, if you refresh the
page all works fine.  Within the site after a user has logged in there's a
page that refreshes automatically every now and again.  This bug of course
causes that function to break (page refreshes every x minutes, but sometimes
it's unable to display the page and thus stops working).  At first I thought
perhaps it was an SSL problem with IE, but no tweaks to the httpd.conf file
has made a difference (cache, etc) an then I noticed the problem occur with
konqueror as well so it doesn't appear to be an IE only thing.

  It also can't be a true DNS lookup error since they access the site using
the IP address directly, so it doesn't appear to be a DNS server problem
either.

All the machines have 192.168 IP addresses with the external side of the
router being the only one with a real IP (and forwards 443 to the Virtual IP
for the LVS).

The problem exists both internal (behind the router) and externally from
remote locations.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks.

Todd