RE: Geographic Loadbalancing..

Subject: RE: Geographic Loadbalancing..
From: mb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 08:19:29 +1000
Quoting Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Nice page, it has some good information.  My company will be starting a
> second presence shortly.  What are all the other LVS users doing?  We
> had been looking at a 3DNS solution
> (http://www.f5.com/f5products/bigip/3dns/) or a multiple A record
> solution.  After reading about the browser cache I think it will be the
> A record solution.

Is there not a device available that can do the following:

Be primary DNS for given domain (Actually a DNS proxy):
- Client request comes in for www.whatever.com, DNS proxy server asks the real
primary DNS server, and real DNS server responds with list of A Records.
- DNS proxy keeps "state" information of these A records, and returns list of
availabe to client(Could even move the geographically "closest" IP to the top
of the list), and also sets TTL to 5 or 10seconds for each DNS record.
- As the TTL is so low, subsequent requests *should* be requested from DNS
proxy?(Therefore hopefully avoiding DNS cache issues?)
- Device could also have some additional smarts...eg have a list
of "active"+"passive/failover" servers...

Regards,
MB

This e-mail was sent via Data FX Online WebMail http://www.datafx.com.au/