Re: problem building a connection

Subject: Re: problem building a connection
From: Dan Yocum <yocum@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 11:28:23 -0500

Joseph Mack wrote:
Dan Yocum wrote:

Hello all,

I've got a small problem with one of my services (rsync) not getting
correctly set up from my director to the real servers (via direct routing,
fwiw).  All the other services work just fine (3 https and gsiftp) but rsync
doesn't seem to want to cooperate.    If I do this,

what is "this"? Running the commands below from the prompt?

Yes, sorry for being ambiguous.

by hand, the connections
are built up, but I want this to be automatic, of course:

ipvsadm -a -t 131.225.7.156:873 -r 131.225.7.158:873 -g -w 10
ipvsadm -a -t 131.225.7.156:873 -r 131.225.7.159:873 -g -w 10

Until I do this, ipvsadm only reports this:

So is the problem that piranha doesn't add the service?

I would venture to say that is probably a correct conclusion. I see in /var/log/messages that lvs never gets around to create_monitor for the real rsync servers, nor does nanny start a client monitor thus preventing nanny from making it available (i.e., setting up the tables)....

OK, I just went in and fiddled with the monitoring scripts for rsync. I changed the "send" to '\n\r' (added the \r for good measure) and changed the "expect" to '@RSYNCD' ('cause that's apparently what the daemon is sending back) and rebooted and it looks better... apparently those monitoring scripts are very, very picky. Would setting use_regex=1 make it more lenient?

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Yocum
Sloan Digital Sky Survey, Fermilab  630.840.6509