Re: Monitor Traffic By VIP

Subject: Re: Monitor Traffic By VIP
From: Ronny Aasen <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:30:37 +0200
On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 13:09, Roberto Nibali wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > I am running a 2 node lvs-cluster
>
> So you only have 1 RS? ;).
>
> > and was wonder if the list could recommend
> > a traffic monitoring program.
>
> SNMP to fetch data and MRTG or rrdtool as a database and some nice GUI
> to display the (sometimes wrong) counters.
>
> > My LVS is the frontend for a reverse-proxy cache and I would like to know
> > the traffic that each VIP is handling.
>
> How many VIPs do you have?
>
> > I need to know the data rates on a per ip basis.
>
> Data on a per packet or per byte rate base? Also do you mean VIP=ip here?
>
> > I use mrtg at the switch
> > level but I need to have more granularity, hence the need for per IP basis.
>
> A normal L3 switch does have information on a per IP basis.
>
> > Any advice you have would be appreciated.
>
> I'm not so sure what exactly you need, I'm afraid.

build/buy a ethertap, (or use a hub) in the ip stream you need to
monitor.
add in a box running ipfm (debian package available)
this gives you traffic/ip in a list updated as often as you want/need
i picked 5 minutes to match my other graphs

then run rrdtool on that list to build the graphs per/ip
and make a nice web page to present the lot.

ethertap from netoptics:
http://www.netoptics.com/products/product_family_details.asp?cid=1&pid=4&Section=products&menuitem=1
ipfm site:
http://robert.cheramy.net/ipfm/