Re: Using iptables redirect for ARP problem on red hat real servers

Subject: Re: Using iptables redirect for ARP problem on red hat real servers
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:13:25 -0400
Peter Mueller wrote:

> On my real servers I have : $IPTABLES -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d
> $VIP1 --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 80.  If I remember correctly "-j
> REDIRECT" is broken on stock kernels.

broken only for LVS

> Vendor kernels have an iptables patch that restores functionality.

only RH that I've heard of. (It could be in all of them for all I know.)

> Actually I have just dug into google a bit on this issue.  As it turns
> out iptables of 1.2.7a - or possibly earlier - appears to have restored
> this functionality.  Here is the thread :
> http://lists.netfilter.org/pipermail/netfilter/2002-September/038303.html.

I found two postings in this thread. There were about the inability
of iptables-1.2.7a to parse a previously working set of arguments
(which included -j REDIRECT).

Neither was about the functionality of Horms Method (using transparent
proxy with LVS) that I could see.

> RE: director, why would you want transparent proxy to work there?

it was Horms first use of transparent proxy for LVS. You can read how
it was used in the HOWTO

LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx