Re: Connection Synchronization question

Subject: Re: Connection Synchronization question
From: James Bromberger <jbromberger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:44:14 +0100
If you are using something like heartbeat to start and stop
ldirectord,
then you don't want the synchronisation daemons handled there,
else the synchronisation daemon won't run when the ldirectord
resource is relinqushed on a node, and this really isn't what
you want.

ipvsadm has an init script, You should be able to use that
to start and stop the daemons.

Well here's what I am going to be doing in my next cluster going live
very soon now (sm).  If anyone sees anything silly please let me know.
Note that if you copy my config you will have to change
/etc/ha.d/update's SSH line to the proper host, and reverse it for the
backup host. You will also probably want an ssh-public key login setup,
although I'm not certain I'm going to do this.

</etc/ha.d/resource.d/lvsstate.sh>
#!/bin/sh
# script to set the sync state properly on both LVS servers.

case "$1" in
  start)
    /sbin/ipvsadm --stop-daemon
    /sbin/ipvsadm --start-daemon master
  ;;
  stop)
    /sbin/ipvsadm --stop-daemon
    /sbin/ipvsadm --start-daemon backup
  ;;
esac

May be the is wrong, but we run ldirectord on both master and standby hosts ALL the time. We also run "ipvsadm --start-daemon master" and "ipvsadm --start-daemon backup" on BOTH hosts all the time (2.6 kernel). The ONLY thing that heartbeat is doing is brining the service IP addresses up and down. That way ldirectord doesn't need 10 seconds or so to check services before they come into service: everything is instant. Maybe this is wrong, but it works really well. Our failover time is less than half a second, and all state is retained. Fail back can happen immediately as well...

  JEB